Sunday, January 25, 2015

Gymnastics Team

There is something special about a gymnastics team.  It's a special group.  It probably has something to do with spending 20+ hours a week together for years, but it is more than that for me and my team.  People say that they were family with their high school sports team, but a private club gymnastics team has a whole different level.  Yes, we competed against each other in competition, but I couldn't have asked for a more supportive team.

We not only grew up together, but we shared in struggles, crazy coaches, boy problems (or just having to have the boy come to the gym to meet the team per Sue), family issues, sicknesses, injuries, etc.  We went through divorces of parents, depressingly bad meets, concussions, a splitting head open, other broken body parts, and travelling all over the country together.  We got our first jobs and learned to coach together, but learning to coach each other.

Every year/school break, we would get together and remember old times and catch up on each others lives.  A trip to Bertucci's always, with lots of rolls!  We had teammates travelling to Europe, the Middle East, graduating schools and getting full-time grown-up jobs!


On my wedding day, I received this video from my teammates, which is the most recent time I saw most of them:

I am so grateful to have had these girls by my side all these years.  They are part of my family, and I will love them forever.

Tonight I learned that we have lost a member of our family, and it has made me sad.  Dwecky was always an inspiration to me.  She was one of the youngest on our team, but lead the pack when it came to any kind of endurance work-out.  That girl could run forever!  It pushed us all to be better and run faster, that's for sure.  She was hilarious, always positive, and inclusive to the whole team.  She also was wicked good at gymnastics football!  She is an inspiration to me as a hard worker and dedicated teammate and friend.

I will miss her.  Our team will miss her.  We have lost a member of our family.  I look forward to the day that I will get to see her again and it will be a heavenly reunion.  Til we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment